My experiences writing, directing and producing Christian musicals for kids through adults.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Back to Writing

With all the administrative stuff I've had to do lately, and all the talking about sign-ups for the summer workshop, along with the rest of the stuff I have to do in my life, I haven't had much chance to sit down and actually write.

So when I finally get to a time when I can think about characters and what they should say, and do, I breathe a sigh of relief. Oh right, I actually enjoy writing! I enjoy listening to the characters in my head. I enjoy coming up with fun things for them to say. I enjoy fitting together different parts of the plot, even when it's difficult. ('But if A says X, then B has to give the mulligan to C to give to A first . . . ')

I'm working on my expanded version of Louisiana Jane right now. When that's done, I'll work on an expanded version of These Are the Voyages. Both these shows had to be kept to 50-55 minutes before, which meant that I couldn't develop some characters or parts of the plot as well as I would have wanted. Now that I can produce longer versions, I can develop those characters and put in the songs that Randy had written but would have made the show too long.

So what have I been adding?

I always liked the three professors in Louisiana Jane. They're experts in antiquities who can't agree on anything. Haley is a cheery chap. Lahr suspects everything of being a fake. Before we developed this through the song, "What Have We Here?" Now, I was able to add a scene in which they argue over the hors d'oeuvres. It was fun writing it. I'll also be adding the professors to later in the show. They're fun characters to play.

By the way, the three professors are named Bolger, Haley and Lahr. Anyone have any idea who they are named after? (Not that their characters resemble these people.)

3 comments:

  1. Me!!! Me!!! Let me andswer this one...!!
    Ray Bolger, Jack Haley and Bert Lahr

    Anonymous (MOM)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Writing good! Make parts bigger for young actresses! Precioussss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ta-da! The prize goes to Anonymous No. 1, aka my "Mom", who recognized the names of Bolger, Haley and Lahr as the actors who played the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion. My professors don't act like the Wizard of Oz characters. I just wanted to give an homage to these great old actors.

    ReplyDelete