My experiences writing, directing and producing Christian musicals for kids through adults.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Raise your hand if you're kinesthetic

. . . and if you're not, you can just sit. I won't make you move.

Randy's show opens in a little over a week (Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None at Driftwood Players in Edmonds; do you have tickets?) and the biggest issue he's having right now is blocking.

Randy is not kinesthetic. A kinesthetic person remembers body movement well. That's not him. He can listen to music and pick out the key and the instruments and all sorts of stuff I can't - but that's not a help in this particular show. So, he's working extra on his blocking, which for those of you who don't know, is an actor's movements during the show. At which lines does one walk upstage right, or sit on the couch, or rush towards the butler downstage left? And if the butler forgot his blocking and is not downstage left, where do you go?

It's made a bit more difficult by the fact that the actors are still in their rehearsal space, which is more cramped and doesn't have stairs . . .

One lesson I learned from helping Randy is that next time I direct, I need to be very specific about where to tell the actors to be. Randy was looking at his notes and saying, "Well, he said to go downstage here, but I think he meant to go to the window since that's where I talk to this other person . . . " It's hard to memorize something that one is vague on in the first place. So, yes, I shall try to be very specific.

2 comments:

  1. I may not be kinesthawhatsohooza, but I can drill things into my memory by doing them over and over -- which is what I'm working on today.

    --Randy

    PS - It will be a great show! Very cool and mysTERious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could be there to see it!
    Break a leg!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete